Application (only English)
We invite MSc graduates from any relevant discipline (statistics or a nearby field e.g. mathematics, empirical social sciences ...) and any country who are interested in interdisciplinary research to apply.
The application tool is closed.
The application window for the class starting in September/October 2022 will be announced here in December 2021.
Please note that you need to have completed a Master's degree in statistics or equivalent in a nearby field (e.g. mathematics, empirical social sciences ...) prior to starting the PhD program. Applicants have to submit:
- Academic record (high school, Bachelor and Master’s transcripts)
- Research interests All applicants have to indicate their specific research interests. Please select up to three research groups you are interested in. You can find details about research areas and participating research groups on our webpage.
- Two letters of recommendation
To process your application, we need two letters of recommendation from scientists familiar with you and your previous work (e.g. Master or Bachelor advisor). You will be asked to provide email addresses of your referees, they will then be invited to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. You can monitor receipt of the letter within the online application tool; it is your responsibility to make sure that the referees submit their letters by the application deadline.
- Two brief essays Furthermore, two brief essays are required: one describing the student’s motivation to apply for the PhD program, the other describing the reasons for their interest in selected research groups
There will be a placement test for all applicants. The test is made up by several questions on basic statistical knowledge. The test is embedded in the application form; however, it is only accessible after the application deadline. Applicants will be able to access the application form after the submission and to resubmit the application form including the completed placement test. Applications will be independently reviewed by multiple members of the department. The most promising candidates will be selected for interviews, based on academic qualification, research experience, motivation, scientific background and the letters of recommendation.
Please take note of the following rules:
- You have to apply using our online application tool; applications submitted by mail or email will not be considered
- You have to submit your application either in German or in English
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Please remember to formally submit your application by clicking the “Submit” button once your application is complete. Applications that are not submitted will not be considered
- We do not charge application fees
- The maximum file size per uploaded document is limited to 5 MB
Please note that the program does not provide any funding opportunities. If accepted, we request a guarantee of funding from your side; e.g. a scholarship. The monthly living costs in Munich are at least 1400€.